|Title:||Overnight Community Support Staff (PT) - Rising Strong|
|Dept:||23 - Rising Strong|
The Rising Strong program is a collaboration between Catholic Charities and Empire Health Foundation. Based on proven models in California and Oregon, Rising Strong focuses on serving families who are at risk for separation due to parental substance abuse by providing safe housing, substance abuse treatment, case management, and other supportive wraparound services. By serving whole families, our aim is to reduce trauma in children, decrease the rates of foster care placements, and remove barriers that traditionally prevent parents from succeeding in substance abuse treatment. We walk alongside and support vulnerable families as they change their stories.
This position provides staff presence to ensure safety for all families and to support and empower families in realizing their recovery goals. The Overnight Community Support Staff member will also provide supervision and assistance in the morning hours to ensure morning program activities begin smoothly and on time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties/responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of this job.
- Assist families as needed, with urgent care issues.
- Conduct urinalysis testing, under the direction of a leadership staff member.
- Maintain family records, daily log and other documentation.
- Complete regular walkthroughs in the building.
- Check for co-sleeping with infants under 12 months and take appropriate action to correct any violation of CPS co-sleeping policies.
- Provide feedback, as needed, to assist families with solving problems and conflict resolution.
- Provide oversight for families of policies and procedures to ensure that Rising Strong rules are being followed and that families are practicing safe habits.
- Carry out shift responsibilities to ensure the ongoing safety, cleanliness and smooth operation of the facility. Assist with morning activities as requested.
- Intervene in emotionally-charged situations to deescalate conflict.
- Pay attention and intervene when families are isolating from the community.
- Maintain a high alert for safety threats for all family members and intervene immediately to remove or reduce the threat.
- Ensure no families leave the facility without authorization from appropriate staff members.
- Report any suspicion of drug or alcohol use to the appropriate staff members immediately.
- Assist in calmly and compassionately responding to relapses with staff leadership, with safety for all parties as the priority.
- Answer the phone and take messages.
- Provide leadership and appropriate response in the case of an emergency.
- Perform as a team member to assure that productivity outcome measures are achieved.
- When subpoenaed or otherwise called upon, appear in court to testify regarding families’ involvement in the program
- Adhere to the tenets of Catholic Social Teaching and Catholic Doctrine.
- Perform related functions necessary to support the mission and core values of Catholic Charities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications listed below. These qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have an associate’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with individuals struggling with mental health, addiction, poverty, and CPS involvement preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must:
- Successfully pass background check applicable to position.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
- Regularly carry, reach, and stoop/crouch.
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, lift, pull/push, crawl, talk, hear, taste, or smell.
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
- Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Attendance: ability to consistently arrive and be able to work as scheduled.
- Computer/Technical Ability: working knowledge of Word Processing software and email.
- Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
- Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations. Awareness of and sensitivity to the service population’s culture and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Judgment: ability to make prudent and timely decisions; ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to explain reasoning for decisions.
- Language Ability:
Basic Ability: ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence, effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Ability: (choose the level that applies)
Basic Ability: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Motor Coordination: the ability to coordinate eyes, hands, fingers, and feet accurately and handle precise movements.
- Problem Solving Ability: ability to identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
- Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
- Reasoning Ability:
Basic Ability: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Workplace Environmental Conditions
While performing the essential duties/responsibilities of this job, the employee will be:
Client Population may include persons involved in gangs, with substance abuse concerns, homelessness and/or tendencies towards violent behavior.