|Title:||SOAR Specialist - FT - St. Margaret's|
|Dept:||20 - SMS|
SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) is a model that helps individuals experiencing homelessness who have mental illness and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder or other medical impairments apply for Social Security disability benefits. The primary role of this position would be connecting clients to SSA benefits utilizing the SOAR model.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties/responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of this job. This job may include any of the responsibilities listed below:
- Educate and engage community partners in the local SOAR initiative and work to prioritize eligible applicants for SSI/SSDI.
- Connect with prioritized clients to gather pertinent medical records and complete SSI/SSDI applications in a timely manner.
- Complete SOAR Medical Summary Reports for client applications.
- Attend client appointments at the Social Security Administration.
- Coordinate visits to medical doctors, psychiatrists, and other specialists to obtain evidence for the SOAR application.
- File initial SOAR application documentation with the local SSA office.
- Track and respond to submitted applications and appeals in a timely manner to ensure expedited processing.
- Follow all HIPAA and privacy/confidentiality practice guidelines.
- Enter data into HMIS and OAT databases at enrollment, exit and follow up, as required; provide monthly reports documenting activities for funding sources.
- Maintain legible, organized, and up-to-date records through the use of a homeless database, as well as hard copy recordkeeping processes.
- Assist with other tasks as needed.
- Adhere to the tenants of Catholic Social Teaching and Catholic Doctrine.
- Perform related functions necessary to support the mission and core values of Catholic Charities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications listed below. These qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have a BA in social services field or equivalent experience and be SOAR trained. Knowledge and/or experience in providing case management service and experience in direct client services required. Experience working with the Social Security Administration and issues of homelessness required.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a valid Driver’s License and ability to drive for work use and successfully pass background check applicable to position.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
- Regularly sit, stand, climb, walk, hear/listen, talk
- Frequently lift up to 25 pounds, pull/push, carry, grasp, reach, stoop, kneel
- Occasionally crawl
- Clearly see 20+ feet, with or without corrective lenses, ability to focus
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
- Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Analytical Ability: ability to maintain focus for extended periods of time; ability to complete research projects with resourcefulness and persistence; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; ability to use intuition and experience to complement existing data. High quality data collection is a must for this position. Please make sure all required reporting is accurate and complete by the deadlines established.
- Attendance: ability to consistently arrive and be able to work as scheduled.
- Computer/Technical Ability: working knowledge of: Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software, Internet software
- Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
- Transportation: Reliable employee transportation is a must as this position will require off site meetings. The average amount of time off site and commuting will be dependent on placement.
- Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations. Awareness of and sensitivity to the service population’s culture and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Judgment: ability to make prudent and timely decisions; ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to explain reasoning for decisions.
- Language Ability: ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Ability: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Motor Coordination: the ability to coordinate eyes, hands, fingers, and feet accurately and handle precise movements.
- Problem Solving Ability: ability to identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
- Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
- Reasoning Ability: ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Supervisory Skills: this job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.