|Title:||Janitor - FT (House of Charity)|
|Dept:||25 - HOC|
This position is responsible for maintaining overall cleanliness of the House of Charity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties/responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of this job.
- Daily cleaning duties may include all areas of the shelter day rooms, dining room, public and staff restrooms, water fountains and medical clinic as follows: cleaning and sanitizing, trash removal, recycling, laundering, sweeping and mopping, dusting, window washing. Cleaning may be located in all areas of the building and outside in the surrounding public neighborhood areas.
- Performs periodic walks throughout the facility to detect hazards. Monitor building operations in the absence of other staff as assigned.
- Ensures that House of Charity rules are being observed and that it is a safe environment for patrons, staff and volunteers. Assist in maintaining safety and security by monitoring all general access areas.
- Assist in supervision, training, and orientation of community volunteers and client volunteers in the cleanliness of restrooms and common areas.
- Maintain janitor closets ensuring that supplies and chemicals are available, properly labeled and stored.
- Restock cleaning supplies and paper products in janitorial closets, cart and general areas daily, or as needed.
- Ensure that floors, stairways and outside of the building are clean of debris and hazards that may jeopardize health and safety.
- Assist with other tasks as needed.
- Adhere to the tenets of Catholic Social Teaching and Catholic Doctrine.
- Perform related functions necessary to support the mission and core values of Catholic Charities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications listed below. These qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have a High School Diploma or GED and at least one (1) year prior experience in all aspects of janitorial work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, no certifications are required. Successfully pass background check applicable to position.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
- Regularly stand, climb, walk, hear/listen, talk
- Frequently lift up to 50 pounds, pull/push, carry, grasp, reach, stoop, kneel
- Occasionally sit, crawl
- Clearly see 20+ feet, with or without corrective lenses, ability to focus
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
- Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Analytical Ability: ability to maintain focus for extended periods of time; ability to complete research projects with resourcefulness and persistence; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; ability to use intuition and experience to complement existing data.
- Attendance: ability to consistently arrive and be able to work as scheduled.
- Computer/Technical Ability: No computer knowledge needed.
- Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
- Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations. Awareness of and sensitivity to the service population’s culture and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Judgment: ability to make prudent and timely decisions; ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to explain reasoning for decisions.
- Language Ability: ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Ability: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Motor Coordination: the ability to coordinate eyes, hands, fingers, and feet accurately and handle precise movements.
- Problem Solving Ability: ability to identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
- Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
- Reasoning Ability: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Supervisory Skills: this job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Workplace Environmental Conditions
While performing the essential duties/responsibilities of this job, the employee will be:
- Noise Conditions: exposed during a shift to constant or intermittent sounds at moderate to loud levels of sound dependent upon the activities of the Shelter.
- Heat: subject to high temperatures
- Cold: exposed to low temperatures
- Atmospheric Exposures: exposed to dusts, fumes, vapors, or mists.
- Client Population may include persons involved in gangs, with substance abuse concerns, homelessness and/or tendencies towards violent behavior.