|Title:||Volunteer Specialist - PT|
|Dept:||20 - SMS|
This position is responsible for performing a range of duties to develop and enhance the volunteer program at St. Margaret’s including recruitment, selection, orientation, tracking and placement of volunteers, especially parish volunteers and non-service-learning volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties/responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of this job.
- Work with staff in planning, developing and supervising volunteers.
- Respond to requests from the community wishing to contribute time, energy or other resources to St. Margaret’s.
- Recruit volunteers through various strategies including advertising, attending Service Learning and Volunteer Fairs and by publicizing volunteer opportunities.
- Develop clear responsibilities and instructions for each volunteer activity.
- Obtain and process necessary paperwork, background checks and information from volunteers and conduct interviews.
- Properly screen and select volunteers helping to ensure that Code of Conduct and accreditation standards are met.
- Provide orientation, training, placement and scheduling of volunteers.
- Coordinate and maintain record keeping and files on volunteers to include tracking volunteer hours and keeping the volunteer database current.
- Assist in planning special volunteer recognition functions and activities.
- Attend monthly Catholic Charities Spokane Volunteer Coordinators meetings and work closely with the Catholic Charities Volunteer Services Manager to assure attainment of the goals of the St. Margaret’s volunteer program.
- Adheres to the tenets of Catholic Social Teaching and Catholic Doctrine.
- Performs as a team member to assure that productivity outcome measures are achieved.
- Performs related functions necessary to support the mission and core values of Catholic Charities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications listed below. These qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have a High school diploma or equivalent required. Work experience in a not-for-profit and prior experience working with volunteers preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a valid Driver’s License. Blood Borne Pathogen training. Successfully pass background check as required for position.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
- Regularly sit, stand, climb, walk, hear/listen, talk
- Frequently lift up to 30 pounds, pull/push, carry, grasp, reach
- Occasionally crawl, stoop, kneel
- Clearly see 20+ feet, with or without corrective lenses, ability to focus
- Must complete a tuberculosis test
- Must be 18 years of age
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
- Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Analytical Ability: ability to maintain focus for extended periods of time; ability to complete research projects with resourcefulness and persistence; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; ability to use intuition and experience to complement existing data.
- Attendance: ability to consistently arrive and be able to work as scheduled.
- Computer/Technical Ability: working knowledge of: Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software, Internet software, Database software. Type 50 words per minute.
- Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
- Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations. Must have awareness of and sensitivity to the service population’s culture and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Judgment: ability to make prudent and timely decisions; ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to explain reasoning for decisions.
- Language Ability: ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Ability: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Motor Coordination: the ability to coordinate eyes, hands, fingers, and feet accurately and handle precise movements.
- Problem Solving Ability: ability to identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
- Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
- Reasoning Ability: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Supervisory Skills: this job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Workplace Environmental Conditions
While performing the essential duties/responsibilities of this job, the employee will be:
- Noise Conditions: exposed during a shift to constant or intermittent sounds at quiet to moderate levels of sound dependent upon the activities of the Center
- Heat: subject to high temperatures
- Cold: exposed to low temperatures
- Atmospheric Exposures: exposed to dusts, fumes, vapors, or mists