Openings >> Front Line Homeless Shelter Staff - On Call
Front Line Homeless Shelter Staff - On Call
Front Line Homeless Shelter Staff - On Call
25 - HOC
This position is responsible for assisting with the management and operation of the House of Charity services.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties/responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of this job.
Ensures that the rules are being observed and that it is a safe environment for patrons, staff and volunteers. Maintain safety and security by monitoring all general access areas.
Oversees required operations tasks during shift, including overseeing community volunteers as needed and attending the front desk, giving out mail, checking in gear, accepting donations, and answering telephones.
Through regular interactions with clients, makes appropriate referrals to relevant social services. Assists case management staff in the coordination of services to residents; contact residents' outside service providers as necessary.
Respond to resident complaints.
Maintains relevant databases including HOC internal database and HMIS. When necessary, administers the intake forms needed for statistical and narrative reports required by agency; performs required data entry.
Performs periodic walks throughout the facility to detect hazards. Manage all building operations in the absence of other staff as assigned.
Intervene in crises, respond to emergencies, and initiate action as required, including contact with emergency response systems.
Write significant events involving residents and building operations activities in a daily log; read log daily.
Performs other relevant duties assigned by supervisor.
Adheres to the tenets of Catholic Social Teaching and Catholic Doctrine.
Performs as a team member to assure that productivity outcome measures are achieved.
Performs related functions necessary to support the mission and core values of Catholic Charities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications listed below. These qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform this job.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have a High School Diploma or a General Education Degree. Demonstrated leadership, management and administrative skills. Ability to compassionately interact with mentally ill, substance abusers and homeless people.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a valid Driver’s License and ability to drive for work use. Successfully pass background check applicable to position.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
· Regularly sit, stand, climb, walk, hear/listen, talk
· Frequently lift up to 50 pounds, pull/push, carry, grasp, reach
· Occasionally crawl, stoop, kneel
· Clearly see 20+ feet, with or without corrective lenses, ability to focus
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
Analytical Ability: ability to maintain focus for extended periods of time; ability to complete research projects with resourcefulness and persistence; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; ability to use intuition and experience to complement existing data.
Attendance: ability to consistently arrive and be able to work as scheduled. Ability to work night and weekend shifts as needed.
Computer/Technical Ability: working knowledge of: Word Processing software, Spreadsheet software, Internet software
Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations. Awareness of and sensitivity to the service population’s culture and socioeconomic characteristics.
· Judgment: ability to make prudent and timely decisions; ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment; ability to explain reasoning for decisions.
· Language Ability: ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
· Mathematical Ability: ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
· Motor Coordination: the ability to coordinate eyes, hands, fingers, and feet accurately and handle precise movements.
· Problem Solving Ability: ability to identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
· Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
· Reasoning Ability: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Supervisory Skills: This job does not have any direct supervisory experience.
Workplace Environmental Conditions
While performing the essential duties/responsibilities of this job, the employee will be:
Noise Conditions: exposed during a shift to constant or intermittent sounds at moderate to loud levels of sound dependent upon the daily activities.
Client Population may include persons involved in gangs, with substance abuse concerns, homelessness and/or tendencies towards violent behavior.